Health Service Psychology Internship
Mississippi State University Student Counseling Services (SCS) completed its APA site visit for accreditation on February 11th and 12th, 2020. SCS' current status with APA is "Intent to Apply" which indicates that a SCS has intention of application for full APA-Accreditation within 2 years of the initial application date, July 22, 2018. A proposed timeline can be found at the bottom of this page. More information about "intent to apply" status can be found here. Questions related to the program's accreditation status should be directed to the Commission of Accreditation:
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
American Psychological Association
750 1st Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 336-5979 / E-mail: email@example.com
How To Apply
As an APPIC member (#2482), SCS is participating in Phase II of the APICC Match Service for the 2020-2021 Internship Year with 2 open postions. We will accept applications until 5:00 pm on Monday, March 9th. Applications must consist of:
- Completed APPIC Application for Psychology Internship (AAPI) form. The AAPI may be downloaded from the APPIC website. More information can be found here
- A "cover letter" or "letter of interest," should describe your qualifications and professional experience that you believe make you a good match with SCS. It also should highlight your specific goals for internship.
- A curriculum vita.
- Official transcripts for all graduate work.
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two from supervisors familiar with recent clinical work.
All applicants who follow these guidelines will be considered.
As an APPIC member, our information is also available in the APPIC directory of internship sites. The SCS program code is 2482.
Our program aims to complete the training of broadly-trained health service psychologists. The internship seeks to build on interns’ previous training experiences to further develop their knowledge and skills in order to successful find a career in the field of psychology. This internship aims for interns to achieve the level of functioning expected of an entry level psychologist. Specifically:
- The provision of high quality psychology services to clients in a similar, outpatient setting, including:
- Practice multi-modal psychotherapy (Individual and group)
- Perform clinical interviews and assessments
- Be able to conduct programs, presentations, and consultations
- Provide appropriate crisis services and response
- Deliver clinical supervision
- Integrate research into practice
- Be aware of, and responsive to, culture and diversity including using culturally-appropriate assessments and treatments
- Development of healthy professional identity, including:
- Practice in accordance with APA ethics and the legal guidelines in their jurisdiction
- Consult and collaborate with and integrate into multidisciplinary teams to provide quality care to clients as well as institution level interventions
- Identification of long-term goals plans related to a career in psychology
- Self-awareness of cultural considerations, diversity, and address biases which may affect their work in psychology
The specific training areas covered in the SCS program are aligned with APA Standards of Accreditation and will provide a broad range of generalist training that highlights the incorporation of science and practice within a collegial and collaborative environment. Training components will cover areas such as those listed below:
Required Training Experiences
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling
- Emergency and walk-in coverage
- Supervision of practicum students
- Outreach programming
- Multi-week seminars on important areas such as: Group Therapy, Assessment, Outreach, Ethical and Legal Issues, Diversity, Crisis Assessment and Intervention, and Risk Management, Case Presentation, Career and Job Search
- Major Specialty Rotations (8 hrs, weekly), including:
- Optional Minor Rotations, including:
Typical Weekly Schedule
SCS is open from Monday-Friday from 8am- 5pm. Typically, interns are expected to work 40 hours per week whenever the University is open. University holidays can be found here.
- Individual therapy- 12-14 hours per week
- Group therapy- 1-1.5 hours per week
- Walk-in/Emergency Coverage- 4.5 hours per week
- Provision of Supervision- 1 hour per week
- Assessment- as needed
- Outreach- as requested, typically 2-4 hours in the Fall and Spring semester
- After-Hours on-call rotation - Approx. 3 weeks per year
- Individual supervision - 2 hours per week
- Group Supervision - 1 hour per week
- Supervision of group therapy - .5 hour per week
- Rotation supervision (if selected) - 1 hour per week
- Supervision of Supervision - 1 hour per week
- Staff Meeting - 1.5 hours per week
- Clinical Case Conference - 1.5 hours per week
- Seminar/Didactics - 2 hours per week
- Documentation- 5 hours per week
- Case Management- 4.5 hours per week
- Research/Dissertation/Job Search- 1 hour per week
- Lunch- 5 hours per week
Stipend and Benefits
Each intern will receive a yearly salary of $35,568, to be paid bi-weekly. Additionally, interns will receive full benefits including: health insurance, life insurance, personal and sick leave accrual, and retirement. Additional details regarding benefits can be found at the Mississippi State Human Resources Website. Interns will eligible to participate in the Mississippi State University faculty housing program.
Below is a proposed timeline for seeking APA-accreditation. Please note that this is only a proposal and many factors may speed up or delay this timeline. This timeline cannot be guaranteed.
- May 2, 2018 - "Intent to Apply" application submitted to APA
- July 22, 2018 - "Intent to Apply" application materials reviewed by APA Commission on Accreditation (CoA)
- August 2018 - Feedback for Intent to Apply application received from APA and integrated into training program
- Fall 2018 - Inaugural Year in the APPIC Match Participation
- Spring 2019 - First Internship cohort hired
- Summer 2019- Submission of APPIC membership application and APA-Accreditation application
- September 2019- Approval for site visit given by APA.
- November 2019- APPIC Membership approved
- February 11th and 12th, 2020 - APA Site Visit
- February 2020- Accepting applications for 2020-2021 internship year in Phase II of the match for 2 positions
- March 9th, 2020-Due date for Phase II applications for 2020-2021 internship year
- March 23rd, 2020 Match Day for Phase II
- Spring/Summer 2020- Expected response of APA to site visit